Leaves

There was a storm earlier this week and the first half of leaves fell from the walnut tree meaning time to PLAY in the LEAVES!!



My husband was home for about 30 mins of preschool so he was able to be the leaf thrower for a few minutes. I love what each adventurer is doing here...jumping, arms wide open wanting more leaves, shrieking, and ducking away. Such a great captured moment!




Then is was time to dig, scoop, scoop, dig.




And fall down into the pile!
******************************************
We also gathered leaves from the maple tree and talked about the difference between coniferous and deciduous trees.







************************************



We read Mouse's First Fall by Lauren Thompson which was perfect because we also wanted to jump and hide in the leaves just like Mouse and Minka!




***********************************
One of my favorite little leaf songs goes like this..
 (Tune:Where is Thumpkin)

Leaves are falling, leaves are falling
To the ground, to the ground.
Red, yellow, brown, red, yellow brown
 Look around, Look around.

*************************************


 (the Letter L)







We gathered a lot of leaves from around the neighborhood and put them inside the phone book.  
I put about 5 heavy books on top to make sure the leaves would be nice and flat.





Once the leaves were all pressed flat (about 6 hours) I took them out for the adventurers to study.






The adventurers sorted out the leaves and put the corresponding amount in the number square.





This Letter L on the back side of the number chart is probably the highlight of this whole activity. I was so excited to tell my husband that I thought I was so clever to have 2 activities with 1 piece of paper!!!! (Honestly, I know anyone else would have figured that out too, but because I am a little sick my brain is a bit foggy.)






The lovely L on the back side of the 1-4 number squares paper.








The finished L. I am also quite proud of this little Adventurer 
 because it is the first time she wanted to write her name on a project all by herself!!








River cut out a skinny L and glued these beautiful leaves on top.


0 comments:

Post a Comment